SPID is Italy’s Public Digital Identity System which allows users to access the online services of the Public Administration and those of the participating private institutes. Users can log on from a computer, tablet or smartphone using a single Digital Identity (username and password).
To be able to claim and receive SPID login details you must be of legal age, if you are residing in Italy, and must have:
- an email address;
- the phone number of the mobile phone that you normally use;
- a valid identity document (one of the following: identity card, passport, driving licence)*;
- national health card with a tax identification code*.
If you reside abroad, you must have:
- an email address;
- the phone number of the mobile phone you normally use;
- a valid Italian identity document (one of the following: identity card, passport, driving licence)*;
- a tax identification code;
- a national health card or tax identification code card may also help with the identity verification process and could help prevent identity theft as their authenticity is verified on non-public national databases.
* When registering you may need to photograph them and attach them to the form to be filled in.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET SPID?
Choose one of the Identity providers and register on their site.
Registration consists of 3 steps:
- entering your personal data;
- the creation of your SPID login details;
- the verification of your identity.
The time it takes for digital identity to be issued varies between individual Identity Providers.
CHOOSING BETWEEN DIFFERENT IDENTITY PROVIDERS
Identity Providers offer different registration methods, either for free or for a fee, and their SPIDs have different levels of security.
The list of Identity Providers gives an overview of these factors.
It is important to consider the following parameters:
- choose the method of identification that is most convenient for you (in person, with an Electronic Identity Card (CIE)*, National services Card (CNS), Digital Signature or via webcam);
- choose based on the level of SPID security you need;
- If you are already a customer of one of the Identity Providers they may offer a simplified registration process;
- Italian citizens living abroad must consider the providers offering the service abroad.
* Only 3.0 Electronic Identity Cards are accepted, i.e. those that do not have an optical band on the back of the plastic card.