You are in

Voluntary contributions for civil servants

Publication: 25/01/2022

Voluntary contributions are paid at the claim of the employee or self-employed worker who wishes to continue the contribution in order to reach pension eligibility or to increase its amount in the event of interruption or termination of employment relationship. This refers to leave for study or family reasons, interruptions for disciplinary reasons, or for discontinuous, seasonal or part-time work.

Workers registered with the INPS Civil Servants’ Pension Scheme may pay voluntary contributions.

In order to continue the contribution, it is necessary to have at least five years of contribution that have actually been paid, referring to any period, or alternatively three years in the five years preceding the claim.

A reduction in the minimum contribution requirement is provided for, from three years to one, to voluntarily cover periods between employment relationships in the case of discontinuous, seasonal or temporary work, as well as periods of non-working in the case of horizontal, vertical or cyclical part-time work.

The voluntary continuation is not permitted if the individual concerned is registered with other forms of compulsory insurance for the same periods.

The contribution amount is determined by INPS Civil Servants’ Pension Scheme and the payments must be carried out by the individual concerned within the quarter following the reference quarter.

The voluntary contribution may also be paid for the six months preceding the date of the submission of the authorisation claim.

The claim must be submitted to INPS online by using the dedicated service.

Alternatively, claims can be made by:

  • phoning the Contact Centre on +39 803 164 (free from Italian landlines) or +39 06 164 164 from mobile phones;
  • electronic services offered by patronage institutes and intermediaries thereof.