You are in

Crediting of imputed contributions for civilian service

Publication: 21/01/2022

It is the imputed contribution recognised by periods, not covered by other contributions, during which the individual concerned performed unarmed military service or alternative civilian service, in other words simply civilian service.

The imputed contribution is only provided for hose who began civilian service before 31 December 2005.

The benefit is intended for those who, as workers or pensioners, have an insurance gap due to having carried out civilian service.

The crediting of imputed contributions may also be claimed by survivors of the policyholder or the deceased pensioner.


In order to obtain the imputed contribution, the individual concerned must have at least one actual contribution when applying for imputed credit.

In order to obtain the imputed contribution, the period must not be covered by other contributions.

The crediting of imputed contributions may not take place if the period has already been considered useful for the granting of a state pension or for any other substitute, exclusive or exonerative pension from the Compulsory General Insurance (AGO).

How can I claim?

The applicant must submit a self-certification of the claimed periods of service and indicate the district or office of either the military or civilian service to which they belong.

The INPS will then directly claim the district or military office, indicated by the individual concerned, to provide supporting documentation.

The claim can be submitted to the INPS online by using the dedicated service.

Alternatively, it is possible to apply to the territorially competent office or by:

  • telephoning the Contact Centre on +39 803 164 (free from Italian landlines) or +39 06 164 164 from mobile phones.
  • telematic services offered by patronage institutes and intermediaries of the Institute.


This sheet does not constitute a source of law and must not be used as a basis for any confidence and/or work or social security choices.