It is a monthly allowance, in response to a claim, in favour of unemployed or single-income parents with disabled children.
The allowance can be paid to one of the unemployed or single-income parents, who are part of single-parent households with dependent children with a recognized disability of not less than 60%. The payment of the allowance is irrespective of the ownership of the dwelling and does not contribute to the formation of the total income.
It should be noted that:
- “single-parent households” means households with only one parent with one or more dependent children with disabilities;
- “unemployed parent” means an unemployed person or a person whose income from employment does not exceed 8,145 euro per year or from self-employment 4,800 euro per year;
- “single income parent” means an individual who derives all of his or her income exclusively from work, even if the work is for several different employers, or if he or she is the recipient of a social security pension.
WHAT AM I ENTITLED TO?
A monthly allowance of a maximum amount of €500 net is provided in favour of a parent who meets the requirements, for each of the years 2021, 2022 and 2023.
The allowance is granted following the claim by a parent who, in the event of acceptance, will receive an amount of €150 per month every month for the entire year.
If the parent has two or more dependent children with a recognised disability of not less than 60%, the granted amount shall be:
- €300 per month for two children;
- €500 per month if there are more than two children.
The allowance is recognised within the spending limit of €5 million for each of the years from 2021 to 2023.
In the event of insufficient resources, priority will be given to claims submitted by applicants with lower ISEE (Equivalent economic situation indicator). If the ISEE income is the same, priority will be given to applicants belonging to households with minor children who are not self-sufficient. Priority will then be given to applicants from households with severely disabled children and, finally, to applicants with children with a medium level of disability.
The allowance is cumulative with the Citizens’ Income and does not contribute to the formation of income.
The monthly payment of the benefit is made by the INPS directly to the applicant by direct debit, payment to a bank or postal account, postal book or prepaid card with IBAN, or to a SEPA Area foreign current account, in the name of the applicant.
From 10 April 2020 onwards, it is no longer necessary to fill in and send the SR 163 form (INPS circular no. 48 of 29 March 2020).
The first payment shall also include, concerning the year in which the claim was submitted, the amount of the monthly instalments accrued up to that point.
WITHDRAWAL OF BENEFIT
The benefit will be withdrawn in the event of the loss of one of the requirements and these further cases:
- decease of the child;
- decease of the applicant;
- revocation of parental responsibility;
- custody of the child to third parties.
A parent is obliged to promptly notify the INPS if any one of the causes for withdrawal mentioned above should occur.
If, as the result of any checks, it emerges that the claimant does not meet the requirements, the benefit shall be immediately revoked, without prejudice to the return of the unduly received amounts and the payment of the penalties provided for by law.
The INPS shall stop payment of the allowance starting from the month after the one in which one of the causes for revocation occurred.
In the event of temporary hospitalisation of the child with disabilities in long-term care institutions or other residential facilities at the total expense of the State or other public administration, the beneficiary is obliged to promptly inform the INPS and the latter will suspend the payment of the allowance for the entire period of hospitalisation.
The claim may be submitted by the parent who at the time of submission cumulatively meets the following requirements:
- being resident in Italy;
- having a valid ISEE value not exceeding 3,000 euros. In the case of families with minor children, a minor children ISEE is required which, in the case of families consisting of married parents, coincides with the ordinary ISEE;
- being unemployed or with a single income and being part of a single-parent household;
- being part of a household, as defined for ISEE purposes, which includes dependent children with a recognised disability of not less than 60%
WHEN CAN I CLAIM?
The claim for the allowance to parents with children with disabilities is annual and must be submitted to the INPS from 1 February to 31 March for each of the years 2022 and 2023 only via electronic means.
Solely concerning claims submitted in 2022, the claimant parent can expressly declare that they also wish to submit a claim for 2021, certifying that they meet all the requirements for that year. The claims for 2021 will be fully dealt with by the end of 2022 and all the accrued monthly payments will be paid within the same year.
If it is not possible to provide a matching ISEE when the claim is submitted because the ISEE is not valid, the claim will be rejected.
HOW CAN I CLAIM?
The claim is submitted to the INPS through the online service “Allowance for parents with children with disabilities”, which also allows claimants to view the outcome of their claim.
Alternatively, claims can be made via:
- Contact centre on +39 803 164 (free from Italian landlines) or +39 06 164 164 on mobile phones.
- patronage institutes - through the telematic services offered by them.
In addition the channels indicated above can also be used to communicate any further changes concerning what was stated in the original claim form (e.g. address change, IBAN).
The allowance to parents with disabled children was provided for by Article 1, paragraphs 365 and 366, Law no. 178 of 30 December 2020, as amended by Article 13 bis, paragraph 1, Decree-law no. 41/2021, converted into Law 69/2021.
The inter-ministerial decree of 12 October 2021 (published in the Official Gazette, General Series, no. 285 of 30 November 2021), regulates the criteria for identifying the recipients of the allowance and the methods for submitting claims and the payment thereof.