You are in
Citizens’ Income and Citizens’ Pension
The Citizens’ Income (RdC), introduced by Decree-Law no. 4 of 28 January 2019 as a measure to combat poverty, is an economic support aimed at assisting reintegration into the world of work and social inclusion. If all members of the household are 67 years of age or older, it is called the Citizens’ Pension (PdC).
Citizens’ Income is paid to households who, at the time of claim and for the entire duration of the benefit, meet certain economic, citizenship and residence requirements.
The benefit is provided through an electronic payment card, the Citizens’ Income Card. It is subject to the Declaration of Immediate Availability for Work (DID), made by the members of the family unit, and the subsequent signing of the Employment Pact at the Employment Centre. If there are no members of the group who have been unemployed for less than two years or in a similar situation, the Pact for Social Inclusion will be signed. The latter replaces the Employment Pact, even for groups that have already signed a personalised project with the Municipality's services, in accordance with Italian Legislative Decree 147/2017, or if the Employment Centres see the presence of particular critical issues that make it difficult to start a job placement process.
These pacts can provide the subscription for personalised supervised training, job placements and social inclusion with community service activities, completion of studies and other commitments identified by the relevant services aimed at labour market integration and social inclusion.
Those aged 29 years or under are in any case summoned by the Employment Centres for the definition of the Employment Pact, even if their household has signed a Pact for Social Inclusion.
The following are excluded from these obligations:
- pensioner beneficiaries of Citizens’ Income;
- beneficiaries of the Citizens’ Pension;
- individuals over 65 years of age;
- people with disabilities (Law no. 68 of 12 March 1999) who can, however, voluntarily adhere to the path of support, work integration and social inclusion;
- subjects already in employment or attending a regular course of study.
In addition, persons with responsibilities for caring for family members under three years of age or severely disabled or not self-sufficient (as defined for ISEE purposes) members, persons attending training courses and unemployed workers may be also be exempted.
The Citizens’ Pension can also be granted in cases where the member, or members, of the family unit who is 67 or over exclusively live with one or more person who is severely disabled or not self-sufficient and younger than 67 years of age.
START DATE AND DURATION
Citizens’ Income shall start to run from the month following that in which the claim is submitted and shall be granted for a maximum period of 18 months, after which it may be renewed, subject to suspension for one month.
There is no suspension in the case of the Citizens’ Pension, which, therefore, is automatically renewed without the need to submit a new claim.
In the case of RdC beneficiary groups, the benefit will be converted into a PdC if the youngest of the members reaches the age of 67. The measure takes the name of Citizens’ Pension from the following month.
WHAT AM I ENTITLED TO?
The financial benefit, both for Citizens’ Income and Citizens’ Pension, is given by the sum of a member to supplement the family income (amount A) and a contribution for rent or loan (amount B), on the basis of the information available from ISEE and the claim form.
Share A complements the household income up to a maximum threshold, calculated by multiplying € 6,000 by the corresponding parameter of the equivalence scale for RdC/PdC purposes. In the case of Citizens’ Pension, the threshold is raised up to € 7,560 multiplied by the equivalence scale.
If the household resides in a rented dwelling, share B is equal to the annual rent up to a maximum of € 3,360 per year, equal to €280 per month for the Citizens’ Income. In the case of the Citizens’ Pension, the amount is reduced to € 1,800 per year, or €150 per month.
In the case of a loan, contracted for the purchase or construction of the house, share B is equal to the loan instalment up to a maximum of € 1,800 per year, or €150 per month for both RdC and PdC. Overall, in case of receipt of RdC and PdC, no less than € 480 per year will be received as income support and for rent or loan.
The ISEE value must therefore be less than € 9,360.
The equivalence scale parameter, for the purposes of RdC/PdC, is equal to 1 for the first member of the household and is increased by 0.4 for each additional member over 18 years of age and by 0.2 for each additional minor member, up to a maximum of 2.1, or up to a maximum of 2.2 if there are members in a condition of severe disability or non-self-sufficiency in the household, as defined for ISEE purposes.
The equivalence scale does not take into account persons who are in detention or hospitalised in long-term care establishments or in other residential facilities at the full expense of the State or other public administration. Furthermore, it does not take into account family members who are unemployed following voluntary resignation, in the 12 months following the date of resignation, without prejudice to resignation for just cause, nor members of the family subject to a personal precautionary measure, as well as a final conviction in the ten years preceding the claim for the crimes provided for by Articles 270-bis, 280, 289-bis, 416-bis, 416-ter, 422 and 640 bis of the Italian Penal Code.
At the time that the claim is submitted, and for the duration of the benefit, the following requirements must jointly be met.
Citizenship and residency requirements
The nationality requirements refer to the applicant for the benefit to be provided, who must be:
- an Italian or EU citizen;
- a third-country national holding a long-term EU residence permit, i.e. holder of international protection or stateless person;
- a third-country national, holder of the right of residence or right of permanent residence, and family member of an Italian or EU citizen.
The applicant must have been a resident in Italy for at least ten years, the last two of which continuously. The applicant for the benefit, in addition to not being subject to a personal precautionary measure, even if implemented following validation of arrest or detention, must not have been definitively convicted, in the ten years preceding the claim, for any of the crimes referred to in Articles 270-bis, 280, 289-bis, 416-bis, 416-ter, 422 and 640-bis of the Italian Penal Code.
The household must be in possession, jointly, of:
- ISEE, valid, for less than € 9,360;
- real estate assets in Italy and abroad (as defined for ISEE purposes) not exceeding € 30,000, without considering the dwelling house;
- movable assets (as defined for ISEE purposes, e.g. deposits, current accounts, etc.) not exceeding:
- € 6,000 for households composed of a single member;
- € 8,000 for households composed of two members;
€ 10,000 for households composed of three or more members, increased by € 1,000 for each child after the third.
These ceilings are increased by € 5,000 for each disabled member and by €7,500 for each severely disabled or non-self-sufficient member present in the household;
- the family income must not exceed the annual threshold calculated by multiplying € 6,000 by the relevant parameter on the equivalence scale. In the case of Citizens’ Pension, the threshold is increased up to € 7,560 for the equivalence scale. In each case, this threshold is increased to € 9,360 for the equivalence scale where the household resides in a rented dwelling, as per the Single Substitute Statement (DSU) for ISEE purposes. Welfare benefits are deducted, including and combining those that are being enjoyed by the same members (with the exception of any benefits not subject to means testing and the Baby Bonus).
In addition, no part of the household must have full availability of or the following in their name:
- vehicles registered for the first time in the six months preceding the claim for RdC/PdC, or vehicles with a cylinder capacity exceeding 1,600 cc or motorcycles with a cylinder capacity exceeding 250 cc, in both cases registered for the first time in the two years preceding the claim for RdC/PdC, with the exclusion of those for which tax relief is provided in favour of persons with disabilities;
- ships and pleasure boats referred to in Article 3, paragraph 1, of Italian Legislative Decree no. 171 of 18 July 2005.
To check whether your current ISEE entitles you to apply for a Citizens’ Income or Pension, you can use the Simulator on the ISEE calculation page. If you have already submitted a new DSU, accessing the INPS portal through the dedicated service and then the ISEE post-reform 2015 service from this page, the simulation may be carried out with the simulator fields already pre-filled with the DSU data forwarded to the INPS.
Citizens’ Income is compatible with entitlement to the NASpI and unemployment benefit for workers with a coordinated partnership (DIS-COLL) or other income support instrument for involuntary unemployment. These benefits are relevant for the purposes of the right and the amount of the RdC benefit as they contribute to determining the family income, in accordance with the ISEE rules (Article 2, paragraph 8, Decree-Law 4/2019).
WHEN CAN I CLAIM?
Claims may be submitted from the sixth day of each month until the end of that month.
HOW CAN I CLAIM?
You can claim the benefit by submitting your claim for Citizens’ Income / Citizens’ Pension with form SR180:
- at the Poste Italiane;
- digitally, by accessing the portal www.redditodicittadinanza.gov.it;
- at authorised Tax Assistance Centres (CAF) or patronage institutes.
If one or more members of the applicant family are self-employed or employed, and the resulting income is not recorded for the whole year in ISEE, the presumed income is to be reported using the Reduced RoW/PDB form.
Reporting obligations to the institution
Beneficiaries are required to notify the INPS, via the Extended RdC/PdC form:
- of any changes in the work situation in start-up forms of employed or self-employed work and sole proprietorship or participation business, even if carried out abroad, which occurred during the course of the RdC/PdC;
- the presumed income for the following calendar year, if the work already reported continues during that year;
- the occurrence in the household, following the claim, of members in a state of detention or hospitalisation in long-term care institutions or other residential facilities that are fully dependent on the State or other public administration, or the cessation of the state thereof;
- any voluntary resignation from work (except those for just cause) of one or more members of the household;
- within 15 days, any change in assets that results in the loss of the requirement relating to real estate and the possession of durable goods.
The SR181 and SR182 forms shall be used for these mandatory communications.
To check the status of your claim, you can use the service available on the Citizens’ Income/Pension website, accessible from this form.