The compensation for the definitive termination of commercial activities is an economic benefit granted to parties who carry out a specific autonomous activity and who cease to work without having yet met the requirements for the old-age pension.
This compensation, introduced temporarily by Italian Legislative Decree No. 207 of 28 March 1996, has become a stable measure since 1 January 2019, due to the 2019 budget law. The compensation is financed with the rate of the additional contribution of 0.09% and is granted within the limits of the resources of the Fund established under the Scheme managing contributions and social security benefits for commercial activities.
Only those registered in the Traders Social Security Scheme who carry out certain activities are the recipients of this benefit:
- retail business in a fixed location, also combined with activities to provide the public with food and beverages, as owners or assistants;
- commercial activities in public areas, even in itinerant form, as owners or assistants.
As a result of the current regulations, beneficiaries also include:
- operators providing food and beverages to the public, as owners or assistants;
- agents and sales representatives.
START DATE AND DURATION
Compensation is due from the first day of the month following the submission of the claim if, on that date, all the requirements have been met and the beneficiary does not perform any work activities.
It is paid up to the full month of reaching the old-age pension under the Traders Pension Scheme.
The period of enjoyment of the indemnity is deemed useful, in the context of Traders Pension Scheme, for the sole purpose of pension rights, not for the amount thereof.
WHAT AM I ENTITLED TO?
The amount of the compensation is equal to the minimum pension provided for those registered under the special traders pension scheme. For 2019 this value is of €513.01.
The payment of the above compensation is carried out in the same manner and frequency envisaged for retirement benefits for commercial operators.
Compensation is subject to taxation in the same way as for the generality of pensions, there is no provision for the payment of legal interests, nor monetary revaluation, nor the application of union deductions and / or the provision of family benefits.
Compensation is due for those who:
- from 1 January 2019 have permanently ceased commercial activities, returning the license / authorisation to the Municipality (if the latter had been claimed for the start-up of the activities) and claiming the cancellation from the membership register at the Chamber of Commerce or from the Economic and Administrative Directory (REA, from its Italian initials);
- at the time of the compensation claiming, beneficiaries must be at least 62 years old, if they are men, or at least 57, if women;
- at the time of ceasing activities for which compensation is claimed, they have been enrolled for at least five years in the special traders Pension Scheme.
The granting of compensation is not compatible with the old-age pension but is compatible with other direct pensions.
The receipt of compensation is incompatible with the performance of any work activities, whether dependent or as self-employed. Therefore, if the beneficiary takes up any subordinate or self-employed activities, they must notify the INPS within 30 days; compensation ceases from the first day of the month following the resumption of activities.
How can I claim?
The claim for compensation can be submitted on-line to the INPS through the dedicated service, called "Claim for traders allowance".
Alternatively, claims can be made by:
- Calling the contact centre on +39 803 164 (free from Italian landlines) or +39 06 164 164 from mobile phones
- On-line services offered by patronage institutes and intermediaries thereof